Monday 30 July 2012

And so it comes to an end

Bon Jour

Hello from the Bristol Hotel in Avignon.   I arrived yesterday courtesy of Linda who drove me here. Ah Linda, she reminds me a bit of Marg Brown charming sweet but a little scattered.  She looked it (the Hotel) on the map no problem.  Um I said as we entered the gates should we not have turned left back there. Oh no its fine we will find it.  Therefore,  luckily for me I got a 15 minute driving tour to start my time in Avignon as no she didn't FIND IT.  So we left the walled city reentered at the same spot turned left this time went 2 block turned right and voila the Hotel was there right where Hemingway left in the diirty 30's.

I was way to early to get my room so I stashed my luggage and headed to the first of three Musee on my list. It was as beautiful inside the building as the art.  Most  of the art was 18th early 19th century although there was a Manet.  There was a lot of Egyptian artifacts also and after an hour and a bit they closed for lunch so I headed towards the Pope's Palace.  There were a dozen or so buildings, see pictures of some, that I passed on my with statuary and intricate carvings that I have become quite blaze seen one historical old Opera house seen them all kinda thing.  Anyways the Palace and Church were incredible not the Vatican of course but for the I think 17th Century pretty bloody awesome.

Unfortunately, I only got into the one musee on Sunday thinking I would do the others Monday and darn it all they are closed a great shame as there were some artist whose work I would have liked to see.
Also the antique stores are mostly closed today too, I assume My Jimmie arranged that.  Below are the pictures I took since leaving the Atelier, except the first three which are of the main house and 2 or the 4 feathers outside of Marcus's suite.

The last 2 photos are the view from my room and why I feel like I am staying in a Tree house.  Anyways adieu for now.

























1 comment:

  1. What an amazing time it looks like you've had, Jill. This last stop looks very interesting. We will add it to our list of places to visit the next time we go back to France.

    ReplyDelete